Thursday, 9 April 2015

The joy of plating (on a Brother knitting machine)




I had never even looked at the plating feeder on my Brother 881, so I decided it was time to give it a go.  I had some scraps of rather thick 4-ply pure wool left over from mother-in-law’s lovely handknitting, which I lined with 3-ply acrylic on cone in a neutral colour.  I used T 8. throughout except for the fold lines of the hems.

All the experiments were straight strips of knitting, two tablet covers, one phone cover and a pair of wrist warmers



Yellow tablet cover 
This is a long strip on 48 stitches.  I knitted until the tablet fitted into the strip when folded and then added a bit for hems (altogether about 25” inches/64 cms).   I stitched up the sides and then handstitched the hem.  This piece was particularly successful in that the lining side did not show through at any point.

Red tablet cover 
This time I cast on over 96 stitches, picked up a hem after 40 rows and knitted to about 10.5”/27 cms so that  I only had to stitch up one side.  The lining of this piece showed through in several places, which was not important for this project but I needed to find out why.

Wrist warmers
These were made over 70 stitches.  The top rib done on the garter carriage, and was about 3.5”/9 cms long.  The lining again showed through, this is very clear if you look at the wrong side of the mitt in the photo below. 


The finished mitts were a little large and loose, so I dropped them in the washing machine with the cottons and they shrank and felted just the right amount.  Lucky!



At this point I realised that the show-through was a tension problem caused by some of the the rewound handknitting yarn not feeding as smoothly as they might, so ...

Red phone cover

This was my last sample.  It is a mini-version of the red tablet cover, and I was very, very careful with the tension.  I was rapidly running out of red wool, so this time I plated the lining yarn with itself for the inside of the hem.  I knitted this over 32 stitches and when stitching up I left a gap on the inside of the hem to pull a drawstring through.